Monday, March 10, 2014

I Believe in Miracles...


This is what tracting in Rivanna, Virginia,  in March,
 looks like.



!Hello hello hello!!!
Look at me, it's Monday and there's no snow to be seen and I'm emailing on time. Wahoo!!
This week has been awesome! A few weeks ago I found out that my grandparents own some land and a house and that it's IN MY AREA. WHAT?? Well, you know me, I don't believe in coincidences, so of course I had to go check it out. I mean, what are the chances that of all the places in the USA I would get reassigned not only to the mission that had that land in it, but also the area. It had to mean something, right?
Well me and Sister Redd were super excited to find out! We took our little hand drawn map courtesy of my mother and set off on an adventure! Hahah and was it ever an adventure. We spent a good hour and a half or so driving up and down this road. I knew the caretaker's name, so we would get out at a house, knock on the door, ask if anyone knew the caretaker and then casually bring up the gospel too! It was great, and such an easy way to start conversation. I also remembered that the house was up a loooong driveway so every time I saw a long driveway that looked remotely familiar or possible, we drove up it. Not the best idea when 4 inches of snow have just melted and you're on an unpaved road in the middle of the woods in an area with no cell reception and a little low-riding car. Luckily we never broke down...but we did drive through some really deep, iced over puddles that quite easily could have killed our car. We had no choice, we were on the Lord's errand. Also we literally had no choice because our car would have gotten stuck otherwise hahah.
The people that we talked to were incredible nice and open to the gospel. One woman is looking for a church and said her son asks her EVERY WEEK to go to church. We have a solution for her! Come to ours! If you're really going out and searching, He will put the people in your path that are ready for you. How true that is.
Our other miracles this week had to do with our fast. If you don't know, in our church we fast on the first Sunday of the month. We can pray for a specific blessing we need at the time as we fast. By putting our spirit before our bodies, we are more in tune with the Spirit. We also use at least the money we would have used on food for that day to help those in need. Last Sunday our Zone fasted for new investigators. Our area is especially difficult for finding new investigators, so me and Sister Redd prayed really hard to be able to find those lost sheep that really need the gospel of Jesus Christ and the peace it brings. IT WORKED. WE GOT TWO NEW INVESTIGATORS! They are both so incredible and open to the gospel. And guess what? They were both people that members led us to. Members make all the difference! I have been so humbled in both lessons with these new investigators. I know without a doubt that my message has nothing to do with me. Their eagerness to learn has nothing to do with me. The peace and understanding they feel as we teach them has nothing to do with me. It has EVERYTHING to do with Heavenly Father's love for them, the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and the sweet, gentle promptings of the Holy Ghost. I have learned this week that I really am simply a mouthpiece and what privilege it is to be just that. I love this work!
Another tidbit of the week. SERVICE IS THE BEST! We have a standing appointment with one man who owns a horse farm. It is the highlight of my week, I look forward to it so much! Ok, maybe not THE highlight, because there are so many incredibly good things each week, but it is definitely an extremely bright part of my week. The service we do is so simple and easy for us..my goodness it's an absolute blast and a half for us. Hahah you put a city girl in the country and goodness I just have the time of my life! But the man we are helping is so appreciative and really needs the help. If you are reading this, go out and serve someone this week. Service is an absolute joy and it fills your heart in a way that nothing else can. There are countless people who need us, how can we say no?
Faaaaavorite scripture this week! Again, hard to narrow it down, but here's the winner:
Alma 13: 22-24
"Yeah, and the voice of the Lord, by the mouth of angels, doth declare it unto all nations; yea, and doth declare it, that they may have glad tidings of great joy; yea, and he doth sound these glad tidings among all his people, yea, and even to them that are scattered abroad upon the face of the earth; wherefore they have come unto us. and they are made known unto us in plain terms, that we may understand, that we cannot err; and this because of our being wanderers in a strange land;...For behold, angels are declaring it unto many at this time in our land; and this is for the purpose of preparing the hearts of the children of men to receive his word at the time of his coming in his glory."
We shouldn't be afraid of sharing the gospel with others, because angels are working right alongside us. And it's all so that everyone can experience "great joy!" What a worthy cause. While we may feel like "wanderers in a strange land" at times, we will be helped along in that cause so that we cannot fail.
I love you all so much. This work honestly is such a rollercoaster of emotions. But it's all worth it to experience the sweet, full joy that comes with sharing the gospel with someone who needs the peace and joy that it brings. I have felt Heavenly Father's love for me, individually, each day. He knows exactly what I need and when I need it the most. There are so many little moments that remind me that He's watching out for me.
Thank you for your prayers and love. I'm praying for you too :)
Good ole country love,
Sister Evans

 Awko-taco self timer but what can you do? We are happy happy because we got to study outside in the sunshine. It was pure bliss: next to a lake, geese being all noisy, being warm enough to not wear tights hahah



 The house my grandparents own....soooooo weird to be in a place that's kind of mine while I'm on a mission.....sooooo weird. but cool too hahah






No comments:

Post a Comment