Friday, February 7, 2014

Hi Ho Missionary Work!

Greetings good people!

Wow. Ok I think I'll probably just start every email like that. This place, this grand place they call the MTC is a place of divinity. I am amazed by how much I've learned and grown (thank you Hay) in the past week alone. My testimony has increased and strengthened tenfold and it's only the first week. 

I have mostly just been learning learning learning at the MTC, so I want to focus this email on my trip to San Francisco yesterday to get my visa. 

I woke up at 1:30 in the morning. Got dropped off at the airport at 3:00. And little did I know that this would be the start of a day of tender mercies centered around me. I don't write that to sound self-centered, but honestly all day long I could feel God's love for the people around me, but even more so for me specifically. I'll just go through a few of them, but it really was all day long!

It was around 3:30 and I was sitting in the SLC airport trying to read Preach My Gospel. Security didn't open until 4:30 so there was nothing else for me to do. Suddenly I had the prompting to get up and walk around. I thought it was weird, cause there were literally 10 other people in the airport and all of them were sleeping or wishing they were. But I thought maybe it was to get my blood pumping or something. Either way, I did it. And there I am, 3:40 in the airport in a skirt randomly meandering about a measly crowd of sleepy travellers. When an older man calls me over and asks if I can help him. OH MY GOODNESS YES YES YES I CAN HELP! I thought he thought I worked for the airline cause I was in a pencil skirt and blue tights/sweater so I kinda looked like a flight attendant? But of course I'll help! He got up and I helped him check in. And then the miracle began. He was from Samoa and had moved to America in around 2000. I have learned this week the importance of silence, so I just made acknowledging sounds and let him talk. And he spoke of the most wonderful things! All about Samoa and the culture and food (it gives him a "happy stomach" his words not mine :)) ), about his family, his children, his brother who served a mission and wrote home telling his parents "if you love me, get baptized" (and they DID!!), about the Bible and oh just on and on. It was so wonderful. And then after we got through security he told me his gate and....IT WAS THE SAME AS MY GATE. Not a coincidence my dear friends, not a coincidences. I don't believe in coincidences, I believe in God. So I sat back and heard what this sweet man had to say. 

Later I went to buy some breakfast, and was just standing in line when a man started talking to me. And the next thing I knew he goes, "me and my wife would love to buy you breakfast". SERIOUSLY. I tried to object, but they insisted. God blesses His servants, and simple as it was, I knew that He had sent this sweet couple to make me feel appreciate and watched over. 

Thennnnn.....I get to my gate and a girl is sitting on her iPad. I smiled at her and then continued to smile at all of the people around me sitting on their phones and staring at screens (hahaha but really). Well that girl put away her iPad and started talking to me. She said she wasn't a member, but her boss was. And that his son was serving a mission. And then, talking about that son, she goes, "McKay is such a good kid...". Ok. Again, NOT A COINCIDENCE. What a tender mercy to hear my name. Such a simple thing, but such a blessing. 

And then Molly Gardiner shows up!! So I wasn't travelling all by my lonesome anymore ;)))) She's going to my mission, but reports in March and I was so sad I didn't get to meet her before we left. And then there she was in the airport! Shout out to Molly, you were a tender blessing :) And I already love you. And had an absolute blast with you. And you have a nice laugh ahaha

Ok, now I've got to cut some things out. But I talked to my taxi driver about missionaries, went to the consulate and then it was....oh just 9:30. In a strange city. Just me and Molly. And our flight was at 1:30. 

Sooooo we street contacted! Or tried hahaa. Neither of us had any idea what we were doing, and we either got rejected or ignored everytime, but it was such a good learning experience (aka don't street contact in the rain....)

We wandered SanFran (love it) and then headed back. At the airport I kept talking to people and was amazed by all of their stories. And of the way that if you show a little interest, a little love, a little concern, people open up to you! After one simple question, it is extraordinary the way you can interact with total strangers. So OPEN YOUR MOUTH. Even if it's scary....it's not. 

I got back safely and then had some more amazing news. I've been reassigned temporarily until I get my visa to New Caledonia. Starting next Wednesday, I'll be serving in the....bah bah duh baaaaah....VIRGINIA RICHMOND MISSION!! Is that crazy or is that crazy. I'm so excited! I can't believe that now when people ask where I served my mission, I will get to say two places!! Baaaaaaah blessings blessings blessings!

Alright, happy day all is well. I love you all! Thanks for all of the love, prayers and support. I can feel it all so strongly! Praying  for all of you!

Love, 
Sister Evans
(6 weeks or so until I'm Soeur Evans)
 Sister Evans with her MTC Sisters
 Provo Temple with District
 Badges.. Cute little badges

 Missionaries everywhere at the Temple
 Visa Trip to San Francisco with Molly Gardiner

No comments:

Post a Comment